Fast Reaction: 3 quick takeaways from No. 1 Syracuse’s 12-11 overtime victory over No. 17 North Carolina

Leigh Ann Rodgers | Staff Photographer

Sergio Salcido led the way for the Orange, scoring three goals — including the OT game winner.

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. — Syracuse isn’t just like the rest of ‘em.

The Orange became the first No. 1 team in six weeks not to lose in its first week holding the nation’s top spot on Saturday afternoon. Sergio Salcido hit a rocket from the top right on the man-up to help No. 1 Syracuse (10-1, 4-0 Atlantic Coast) clinched the regular-season ACC title as it overcame a five-goal deficit against No. 17 North Carolina (6-6, 1-2) for a 12-11 win. It was the last game ever played at Fetzer Field, that UNC lacrosse opened play in 1949 and SU closed Saturday.

Here are three quick takeaways from the game.

Syracuse man-up triumphs again

In overtime, SU had won the ball off a faceoff violation and it rotated up top to Nick Mariano, so often the Syracuse offensive pilot late. A UNC defender decked Nate Solomon from behind shortly into the period and Syracuse found itself on the man-up, a unit that had been so lethal all season. Mariano regained possession and worked the ball around the top to Matt Lane and Jamie Trimboli, but the furthest swing went to Salcido, at a 60-degree angle to the goal and about 12 yards out.

Salcido’s rocket came just after a Syracuse had been 1-for-2 on the day. The Ornage converted when it counted.

Sergio Salcido has a day

Salcido matched his season-high for goals (two) in the first quarter alone, and the redshirt senior finished the game. Salcido has been frustrated with his shooting this season — “God awful,” he said last week of his .150 shooting percentage on 60 attempts — but broke through against Tar Heel defender Jack Rowlett for three goals on five shots Sunday.

Salcido pocketed his first midway through the first quarter on the man-up when quick ball movement left him alone on the crease and he cashed in. On his second, Salcido sprinted to the left from behind the goal and stopped suddenly and, as he spun, Rowlett flew by. A flick of the wrist and Salcido beat Brian Balkam right side.

After the halftime whistle, Rowlett ran up behind Salcido and tomahawked his stick out of his hands. Salcido shrugged and turned back to his team. He did his talking at the end.

Syracuse can’t convert—until it can

Late in the third quarter, SU midfielder Peter Dearth dodged to the goal and found himself suddenly alone. He only had to beat UNC goalie Balkam to trim SU’s lead back down to three goals. But Dearth looked up too soon and couldn’t hang on to even the pass in front and it squirted away.

It emblemized the day for Syracuse. Salcido juked a defender from his cleats but couldn’t hit on an open shot. A push from Marcus Cunningham nulled a clear attempt and gave UNC back possession, which it promptly scored on. Twice, Syracuse fouled on defense, allowed a goal, and then allowed another goal on the subsequent man-down.

But, late in the third, after Dearth dropped the pass, SU bailed out its second-line midfielder by regaining possession, and garnering three more chances. Dearth made almost the same cut in front and this time hung on and finished. It had taken almost 90 seconds longer, but the Orange once again had a chance trailing 10-7. All season long, no matter how big the hole SU dug itself, someone pulled the team out. Mariano off a razor pick, Salcido from the top or Brendan Bomberry in front of the crease. Dearth’s goal seemed the wedge to put Syracuse back in the game. And it was. SU overcame a four-goal deficit and, with about 1:19 remaining, short-stick midfielder Paolo Ciferri emerged from a defensive scrum and five-holed Balkam to tie the game and send it to overtime.