Women's Lacrosse

No. 6 Syracuse women’s lacrosse falls at No. 3 Florida, 19-12

Courtesy of Syracuse Athletics

It's the first time since April 2015 that SU has lost two games in a row.

No. 6 Syracuse was decimated on Tuesday afternoon by No. 3 Florida, 19-12, in Gainesville. This marked the Orange’s (7-2, 2-0 Atlantic Coast) second straight loss after it fell on Saturday to No. 1 Maryland. It’s the first time since April 2015 that SU has lost two games in a row.

The Orange defense struggled all game, allowing 19 goals on 35 shots, 31 of which were on goal. UF (6-1) was led by six goals from Lindsey Ronbeck and five goals from Sydney Pirreca while three other Gators added two goals each to the tally.

SU goalie Asa Goldstock was pulled from the game before halftime after allowing 12 goals on only four saves. The freshman’s 25 percent save percentage was her worst mark in the net this season and Tuesday’s loss marked her second straight.

Goldstock was replaced by sophomore Bri Stahrr, who allowed seven goals on eight saves, good for a 53.5 percent save margin, her best of the season. Tuesday’s game was Stahrr’s longest appearance in the net for the Orange this season, playing the entire second half for SU.

The Orange failed to put much offense together in the game and four of its five first-half goals came via free-position shots. SU led the free-position margin on the game, 14 to six, but was otherwise outshot by the Gators, mustering 30 shots to UF’s 35.

SU again won the draw control margin, 18 to 14, but had 22 turnovers to the Gators’ 16.

Riley Donahue led the Orange with four goals, behind five shots and two free-position shots. Nicole Levy and Kelzi Van Atta added two goals apiece to the Orange total and four other SU players added a goal each.

Syracuse plays Harvard on Saturday in Winter Park, Florida.